Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 5 of 9<<123456789>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: the sun< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 41
Wolfguard Search for posts by this member.
Flyswatter of the Apocalypse

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2000,12:54  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

depends on the what made it. if you go with the big bang then it is finite. atleast the amount of matter is.

------------------
The gene pool has no life guard, support the GPPTF (Gene Pool Purification Task Force)
http://www.geocities.com/jgoeke610/
Past and future pr0n star :)

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 42
adeadlyintegral Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2000,18:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

even if all energy sources are finite, finite numbers can get really big :-) i mean it's good to plan for the future and all, but a few billion years is just asking for a headache... out of curiosity one of you black hole people: i read a sci-fi book once where a loony scientist dropped a quantum singularity through the surface of mars and eventually it consumed mars (took about a year)... would that actually happen? cause then it would suck if a lil black hole flew in and hit, i dunno the sun or china or somethin =D
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 43
xaustinx Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2000,19:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i dunno if i can comprehende something not being infinte.. i mean i can look at too objects as say hey those are almost equal.. but no matter how hard i try i cant look at a horizin line, or into a camcorder hooked into the tv and then pointed at the tv, and see that blue screen as infinity... *shrug* mebbe that's just me.. and prolly none of u care..
 Post Number: 44
Nero Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2000,21:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

actually knowing the origin of the universe would, it seems, be the first step in knowing if it was infinite. as long as someone is taking the copenhagen interpretation, the many worlds theory, or one of the other five (I think) major ideas of creation we can't possibly agree if the universe is infinite or not, we can only agree that it's expanding (red shift). then you gotta ask where's it going to expand to? until it's so far apart that energy flow ceases, or will it shrink back in to start all over again. so really we want to know if hell is going to freeze over or if we'll die in a fiery inferno of colliding matter. heh heh. i hope i confused everyone that read this. i'm totally lost.

as for destroying the sun. i put some thought into this one day in physics. lecture about particle/wave duality so i think about going to arizona to one of the military aircraft graveyards to try to find enough parts to build an old sidewinder missile. i'd need something like a sidewinder B because it had such shitty heat sensing devices that it would frequently lock onto the sun. if we can pull the sensors we have cheap guidance for whatever we want to send at the sun. from there i was thinking about building an enormous trebuchet that could fling the guidance package out into space. there'd have to be propulsion. this is where i broke down. i thought about putting a drunk on a stationary bike and putting a bottle of scotch out in front of him, but that doesn't seem viable. but i'm thinking that if the warhead is a thirsty four year old that it would eventually drive the sun to suicide(can i have a drink? [two seconds later] can i have a drink? [two seconds later] i'm thirsy. etc), but that's hazy too. the lecture ended about this point.

Post Number: 45
xaustinx Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2000,23:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what about 1 unit/molecule/particle/etc... of anti matter.. wouldn't that do it?

quote:
Originally posted by Nero:
as for destroying the sun. i put some thought into this one day in physics. lecture about particle/wave duality so i think about going to arizona to one of the military aircraft graveyards to try to find enough parts to build an old sidewinder missile. i'd need something like a sidewinder B because it had such shitty heat sensing devices that it would frequently lock onto the sun. if we can pull the sensors we have cheap guidance for whatever we want to send at the sun. from there i was thinking about building an enormous trebuchet that could fling the guidance package out into space. there'd have to be propulsion. this is where i broke down. i thought about putting a drunk on a stationary bike and putting a bottle of scotch out in front of him, but that doesn't seem viable. but i'm thinking that if the warhead is a thirsty four year old that it would eventually drive the sun to suicide(can i have a drink? [two seconds later] can i have a drink? [two seconds later] i'm thirsy. etc), but that's hazy too. the lecture ended about this point.

Post Number: 46
Wolfguard Search for posts by this member.
Flyswatter of the Apocalypse

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 02 2000,07:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

E=MC^2
That is the limit on the amount of energy you can get from a single particle be it matter or antimatter.

adeadlyintegral: I remember that story. Its a larry niven short. Think it took like 100 years because of the size of the hole. Something that is the size of an atom can only grab so much matter per orbit. The other reason this worked was it was moving slow enough to be captured by the mars gravity well.(well worked math wise)

------------------
The gene pool has no life guard, support the GPPTF (Gene Pool Purification Task Force)
http://www.geocities.com/jgoeke610/
Past and future pr0n star :)

Post Number: 47
kuros- Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2000,09:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

now I'm not going to be sucked into an argument about this but :

The big bang is now debatable about the start of the uni, newscientist.com for starters.

The quantum singularity through the surface of mars would actually take a matter of months if it truely happened, try checking past issues at sciam.com

As for destroying the Sun, the quantum singularity within a missile would do it, once the missile burns up, the singularity would carry on through the centre of the sun, passing straight through it might consume enough matter to cause some kind of disruption at the core (something to do MF) according to a friend at CERN, this is also one of the prevailing process theories of super nova explosions (to be tested by Hubble's Infra-red successor in 2007).

On a different note, the proposed upgrade to Hubble still being planned means it can actualy see extrasolar planets around there suns.

Post Number: 48
Slicer Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2000,12:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2 Short Things.

1. I think the reason the machines in the matrix used humans could be some sort of hardcoded programming. I think its somewhere in Asimov's books, but robots are not supposed to harm their creators, humans.
By storing humans in vats and leeching energy from them, they are fulfilling this directive, and also gaining energy for themselves.
2. Couldn't the fusion they had support the humans? I know its not possible now, but some wierd sort of energy conversion to sustain our lives might work. Also, you guys are so concerned about the finiteness of energy, but think about it, there are not that many machines, and fusing molecules just on earth could keep them going for a very long time.

Slicer

Post Number: 49
adeadlyintegral Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2000,14:13 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nah they couldn't have been following asimov's three rules cause the 1st was to never harm humans and the 2nd was to follow any order that a human gave them(i think)... which woulda made the entire matrix prison thing real simple the first time a human asked the robots to end it... they also tryed to kill poor little neo several times :-(
 Post Number: 50
Happyfish Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2000,15:20 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

They weren't really killing Neo..
The robots weren't really there..neither was Neo..

1.A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human to come to harm.

2.A robot must obey orders given to him by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3.A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

85 replies since May 24 2000,14:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 5 of 9<<123456789>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply the sun
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code