Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 4 of 9<<12345678>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: the sun< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 31
incubus Search for posts by this member.
mack daddy

Group: Admins
PostIcon Posted on: May 30 2000,11:26  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

But it all comes down to the sun ... why are the thermal plumes hot?

Then again you could say they are hot due to nuclear reactions in the earth's core. Ho hum.

And on the river flows ...

------------------
-- incubus
As I chase the leaves like the words I never find ...

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 32
xaustinx Search for posts by this member.
FNG

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2000,01:02 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i want to eat the sun
 Post Number: 33
Happyfish Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2000,01:35 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Might as well say, yeah, I forgot about thermal activity...stupid me.
Okay, the only sources of energy the earth has is the SUN, thermal, and nuclear.
I think I am correct now..human bodies don't make energy...done...I no longer am a part of this thread... Suck it down.

(why didn't the robots use animals? or breed ppl that didn't have brains? THE ROBOTS ARE EVIL!)

[This message has been edited by Happyfish (edited May 30, 2000).]

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 34
Kolben Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2000,02:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yup, they've got sick twisted CPU's!

The fususion thing would be a solution, but they'd still run out of water, eh sometime...if they didn't get out to space...

To get energy from a chemical reaction the reaction has to be spontanious, or a decrease in Delta G. Chemicals, only react spontaniously when they have energy output as the result. This again means releasing they're internal energy.

This means that you can't make the reaction go backwards unless you put the same amount of energy or more into it. And eventually you would run out of reaktive chemicals.

The same principle for the planet core. It won't be hot forever, if the sun doesn't shine....

[This message has been edited by Kolben (edited May 30, 2000).]

Post Number: 35
Kuros Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2000,11:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Kolben:

The same principle for the planet core. It won't be hot forever, if the sun doesn't shine....

Now just what has the sun shining, got to do with the planets core -besides which all power sources are finite.

Before someone suggests black holes or any other idea of that approach, do your research blacks holes are now thought to be finite(Hawking), though I am not sure about the Kashmir Effect.

Post Number: 36
Kolben Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: May 31 2000,13:46 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kur0s: Tell ME why the planet core will be hot forever...what makes it heat up?...and where does the heat go? And don't tell me fusion crap...because that's a finite resource, though it's very large. And black holes has nothing to do with nothing!
 Post Number: 37
xaustinx Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2000,01:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i want to eat the sun
 Post Number: 38
Kuros Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2000,10:45 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you missed the point, all power sources are finite - I agree - read the post again. As for the core thing, it being hot is not dependant on the sun shining now is it !! Think before writing !!!!!

Black holes were thought as a way of harnessing EM forces to generate unlimited power. Anyway, enough of this

Post Number: 39
Wolfguard Search for posts by this member.
Flyswatter of the Apocalypse

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2000,11:15 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The core of the earth is kept hot by
Heat and pressure and tidal forces (gravitational tides)so it does need the sun to stay hot(well not the sun but the gravity the sun produces). (God I'm a geek)
A black hole could be used as a power source as long as you had stuff to feed it. Black holes emit Heat, light (from stuff dying above the event horizon), hard radiation (x-rays, gamma rays)
Now, if you had a Quantum black hole (black hole with the diameter of a single atom) you could use this as a power source. (Groan, I have reached new heights of geekdom with this post)
This is still a finite source of energy because sooner or later you could feed the entire universe to it.

------------------
The gene pool has no life guard, support the GPPTF (Gene Pool Purification Task Force)
http://www.geocities.com/jgoeke610/
Past and future pr0n star :)

Post Number: 40
Observer Search for posts by this member.
I once watched, but I have left.

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 01 2000,12:48 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is of course if you subscribe to the belief that the Universe is finite. Just my 2 rupees on the matter. I like where this discussion is going. Keep it up!
85 replies since May 24 2000,14:01 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 4 of 9<<12345678>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply the sun
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code