Page 1 of 41234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Are Americans stupid?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reman Search for posts by this member.
FNG

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2000,00:26  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is not really a rant but it may lead to one.

Recently whilst on holidays in Melbourne, Australia (I was attending a roleplaying convention, and I am from Sydney, Australia) I had the pleasure of meeting an American who was attending said convention. Late saturday night as we were conversing over a couple of beers (well more than a couple, and I was drinking coke as I was driving).

He is by no means a stupid person, he runs a resonably successful company, etc. Now what he said to me was that a lot of Americans are stupid...now there are stupid people here in Australia, and I said as much. But these people I explained these are normally the ones that didn't have a good education, they came from broken families, in trouble with the law etc...

He said "No. There are a lot of people in the US who are just plain stupid, dumb as a box of hammers...dumb....dumb...dumb...."

Is this true?

regards, reman

p.s. I think no one on this forum could possibly be considered dumb since you are here, which requires operation of a computer, which some stupid people consider a miracle or the devil's work.

------------------
People ask me to fix their computer. I do in 5 seconds.
They say "You think your good don't you".
I say "I know I'm good". People always ask stupid questions.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
cr0bar Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2000,00:57 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There is an old George Carlin routine that goes "Think about how dumb the average person is, then consider that HALF of them are DUMBER THAN THAT!". Wouldn't make much sense if there WEREN'T many stupid people here, would it?

------------------
"Everyone's favorite implement for any task"
------------------

Post Number: 3
kai Search for posts by this member.
follower

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2000,02:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well I myself really can't stand people. I work at a grociery store and I have to deal with assholes all f'n day. They all assume that you know nothing and have no common sense. Most of them if they actually stopped and thought for a second would be able to get things done smoothly and without me getting pissed off at them. I don't know maybe it's just because I dislike 90\% of the general population, but I would have to agree with your american friend in saying that people are really stupid.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 4
Octavian Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2000,02:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

holy shit, don't even get me started on this topic. i probably already wrote a rant about it in overpopulation, but i can say that there is an ass-load of completely idiotic people in my little nook of america.

i'm sort of in the same position as kai; i work in a retail pet store in the midwest (close enough to arkansas), and there are some people in there that amaze me with their very existence. i swear they would have killed themselves by now. most of the time i wish i could take care of the horrible mistake god or nature or whatever made when it made them. but, unfortunately, that's still illegal.

Post Number: 5
reman Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2000,04:43 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well the guy who I was talking to was from virginia i think.

Oh and btw just so's ya'll knows I wuz only talkin' bout youse amereecans bein' stoopid.

:P

regards, chris

------------------
People ask me to fix their computer. I do in 5 seconds.
They say "You think your good don't you".
I say "I know I'm good". People always ask stupid questions.

Post Number: 6
Willy Pete Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2000,08:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well they have a lot of people there and thus the law of averages is in favour of your comment. You get a lot of dumb people in England too.

------------------
You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The
trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Post Number: 7
Bozeman Search for posts by this member.
Guardian

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 28 2000,21:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live with two stupid people. Unfortunately, they are my parents. Good thing I'm headed to college soon. Plus, I work at a pharmacy. Some people just weren't meant to use credit cards.

Customer: Which way do I swipe it?
Me: Magnetic side down.
Customer: Oh, okay. (swipes magnetic up) Are you sure?
Me: Look, it's this way. (swipes card)
Customer: Thanks. (waits a few seconds) Hey, it's frozen!
Me: You have to press "credit." It says so right there.
Customer: Why?
Me: (pulls out shotgun) Here's why! (shoots customer)
Customer: Ouch! That really hurt!
Me: (Wakes up, realizes there is no shotgun, presses "credit" button) This machine reads all kinds of cards, including bank cards and debit cards.
Customer: This is hard...

It goes on like that for a while, I'll spare you the details.

Post Number: 8
Sithiee Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2000,01:01 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if you dont like dealing with the customers, then quit yer damn job. you obviously are pretty stupid yourself if you actually expect to deal with smart people when you work in retail. i wonder if the customer is dumb for not understanding a system hes never used before, or perhaps youre just plain stupid expecting him to get it no questions asked.
 Post Number: 9
jrh1406 Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2000,02:56 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My girl friend just got a job with NYPIRG, the New York Public Interest Research Group. She has to canvas different neighborhoods and try to raise money to help out different public interest causes and she has to deal with some of the dumbest people. These are people with the 4 bedroom houses, 2 new cars, inground pool and whatnot. Yesterday she was talking to a few people, trying to convince them to help support the current bill that NYPIRG is trying to pass which would require pesticide sprayers to give 48 hours warning before spraying. She would shoot down all these peoples doubts and convince them that all their fears were unfounded and they would still refuse to even support the bill, much less donate money. I'm glad i've got a job in IT, i don't have to deal with too many stupid people
 Post Number: 10
kai Search for posts by this member.
follower

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 29 2000,04:34 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Sithiee:
if you dont like dealing with the customers, then quit yer damn job

well it doesn't always work like that. some people can't just quit. you have to live and pay bills and stuff. plus some people I do expect to understand cuz I see them in the store all the frickin time.

37 replies since Jul. 28 2000,00:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 41234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Are Americans stupid?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code