Page 5 of 5<<12345

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: X-MEN< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 41
fendi Search for posts by this member.
FNG

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2000,22:54  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just watched it a couple of days ago, Friday night, and I was amazed that the cinemas were not full. But thats good coz we got good seats. I love stadium seating Not knowing a lot of the background of the X-Men ie not exposed to a lot of the comics, plus the fact that there was hardly any hype for it down here, I had an no unrealistic expectation. All this contributed to the fact that I quite enjoyed it. I thought it was a good introduction anyway and am slightly looking forward to the sequels.

------------------
You can't strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 42
Ozymandias Search for posts by this member.
DetVet

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 23 2000,23:33 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I, for one, didn't have "unrealistic" expectations. I expected them to change the plot a little, I might have bitched about that a tiny bit, but I'd shut up quickly, because stuff like that's to be expected.

I didn't expect them to CHANGE THE ENTIRE TIMELINE. THAT'S what bugs me.

And sure, to someone who's never read X-Men or seen the cartoon, it's fine, but to some people, who have (not even all of them) it IS disappointing.

I just wonder how people would react if they made the Fantastic Four movie and changed the F4's origin. I'd wager not very kindly, but hey, I could be wrong.

------------------
But where is Gamera?

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 43
fendi Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2000,02:03 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ozymandias: you have a valid point there.

I have been known to subject my family to extensive commentaries (rants) on how some movies based on books sucked. I apologise if my comments were out-of-line or it offended anyone.

------------------
You can't strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

Post Number: 44
Stymie Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2000,16:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I really dug X-Men, if for no other reason than the fact that Singer struck a just about perfect balance between creating a "serious" treatment of the comic (as best as could be expected) and creating something for the fans.

The complaints that I've heard (here, and elsewhere) that say that it bucked the comic continutity too much are valid, but a bit narrow-minded IMHO. To require that the movie be a rehashing of what's already come in the comics would have alienated the general public. Let's face it: comics fans alone would not have made X-Men enough of a success to warrant a sequel (or two). If this means a bit of retooling in the interest of making a solid story, I don't have any problem with that, as long as the characters aren't dramatically altered.

Most of the changes were insignificant at best, neccessary at worst. In the end, I think it all made for a good introduction to the characters, and an entertaining story. Certainly, some changes/additions would have been nice, but Singer produced a quality movie with all the limitations imposed upon its production.

My Ũ.03 - (inflation)

Stymie

Post Number: 45
Sithiee Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 24 2000,19:52 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

yeah, at least its not starship troopers
44 replies since Jul. 12 2000,22:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 5 of 5<<12345
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply X-MEN
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code