Page 3 of 4<<1234>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Are Americans stupid?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 21
reman Search for posts by this member.
FNG

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2000,03:21  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sithiee I gotta agree...i dunno how many times i've gotten something and started playing with it, without even a glance at the instructions.

sometimes its ended in tears, but thats another story...

regards, reman

------------------
People ask me to fix their computer. I do in 5 seconds.
They say "You think your good don't you".
I say "I know I'm good". People always ask stupid questions.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 22
kai Search for posts by this member.
follower

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 08 2000,07:40 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

honestly though these machines are everywhere. and commen sense says that there is absolutley no reason for the magnetic strip to go up. why would it be there. also i like the fact that just about everyone thinks your wrong sithiee.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 23
Sithiee Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2000,00:31 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

aside from reading the instructions, why in the hell would you assume the magnetic strip goes down? i would have no clue personally, seeing as how cards with magnetic strips and their readers arent exactly my specialty. common sense doesnt dictate which way should be up. when theres only one side, like on a barcode reader, then its common sense that the barcode should face the reader, but most card readers are too thin to be able to see which side is the reader. it is not common sense at all.
 Post Number: 24
Wolfguard Search for posts by this member.
Flyswatter of the Apocalypse

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2000,09:27 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it is when there is a big picture that shows you how the card goes into the reader!

------------------
Nuke em' till they glow and shoot em’ in the dark and let the computer sort em' out.
Then wait for a mutation…

Post Number: 25
Bozeman Search for posts by this member.
Guardian

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2000,10:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of couse it's not common sense! That's why there are DIAGRAMS, and INSTRUCTIONS. Plus, the other day I was at work and EVERYONE USED IT RIGHT!!!!!! It was a miracle! I'm reconsidering atheism now, just kidding. On dead threads, I think it's OK to post on em' if you have something good to say. I say just don't make it a habit.
 Post Number: 26
Althornin Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2000,16:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dont really see how bringing back a dead thread i thought was interesting is moronic.

But hey, bringing back dead threads isnt my speciality, so i must not be stupid for doing it.

Or maybe i just did it cause i want to.

The fact remains, if you cant figure out how to use a magnetic card reader
1) You SHOULD read the instructions
If you dont, then you are to stupid to read directions when you KNOW that you dont know how to do something.

That makes you twice as dumb.

And for all your personal attacks, that makes you an asshole. Not stupid, but a real jerk.

------------------
Because email can be altered electronically, the integrity of this communication cannot be guaranteed.

Post Number: 27
Sithiee Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2000,18:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

note how in my example i pointed out not reading the instructions? lots of people dont take the time to do it, no matter how little time it might take. how many of you can honestly say youve never used something without reading the instructions first?

and yes. im an asshole. whooeee look at me giving a flying fuck. i really couldnt care less if you think im an asshole, and taking the time to stop and point it out just makes you look petty.

Post Number: 28
The_Hiro Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 09 2000,19:10 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Althornin:
...If you can't, you must be an idiot- because i ahve seen some dumb people who can read and follow directions like
"press credit for credit card, debit for debit cards"

Before you accuse someone else of making personal attacks it might be instructive to examine your own behaviour first.

[This message has been edited by The_Hiro (edited August 09, 2000).]

Post Number: 29
Wolfguard Search for posts by this member.
Flyswatter of the Apocalypse

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2000,10:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sithiee:

What kind of distance did you get?

You know, when you gave that flying fuck?

------------------
Nuke em' till they glow and shoot em’ in the dark and let the computer sort em' out.
Then wait for a mutation…

Post Number: 30
Gabe Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Aug. 10 2000,11:41 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

While there may not be a "common sense" way for the card to go in the reader (actually, there is: all the numbering and lettering is on the top, with the magnetic stripe on the back. The lettering should face you -- why should you have to put it in upside down?), there is common sense about using technology that you aren't familiar with.

If you get something that you're familiar with, then by all means -- bypass the instructions! But if you're not sure, or if you want to avoid breaking something and voiding the warranty, it's COMMON SENSE to take at least a glance at the instructions.

For example, gaming consoles are easy. I never use the instructions because they're all the same -- AC to wall, video to TV, control pads to console, game into tray, hit the power, and you're off in gameland.

But other (more expensive) items like printers and meat slicers and the like should be treated more carefully. Often times there are special instructions on unpacking and assembling a printer. If you just go at it blindly without reading the instructions, you could break it, void the warranty, and be out a few hundred bucks. And with dangerous stuff like meat slicers, there are idiots out there who would not understand how to use the safety guard and cut their fingers off. I've seen it happen. It's common sense.

Personally, I tend to flip through the intruction booklet to see if there are any features I don't know about, like on a Cell phone... some things just aren't obvious, or if they are, there may be an easier way!

Which brings me to my final point. Credit card machines. They're simple machines. They have the instructions PRINTED ON THEM WITH A STEP-BY-STEP WALK-THROUGH!!! I've known 80-year-olds and 8-year-olds alike who could operate a credit card machine. Why would you ask someone for help without at least looking at the onboard instructions? It's COMMON SENSE!

Remember here -- these are the same people that drove to this supermarket in a car. If they have the knowledge to operate a car, they obviously know how to read (traffic signs and the like), so why can't they read instructions? And if they didn't drive, they walked, so they probably operated a crosswalk signal, another piece of technology.

Get with it people. We live in the 21st century. Obviously the other 95\% of us can use all this technology. If you don't know how, then read the instructions. Then ask politely for help. Yelling never got you anywhere.

Sorry for the length of this rant, I just agree with many people on this thread that people are just too stuck up to think that they should actually take some initiative and figure things out rather than wait to be babied.

-Gabe

[This message has been edited by Gabe (edited August 10, 2000).]

37 replies since Jul. 28 2000,00:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 3 of 4<<1234>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Are Americans stupid?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code