Page 2 of 5<<12345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: X-MEN< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 11
Rol3x Search for posts by this member.
DetVet

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 14 2000,23:30  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what the hell is wrong with cheap beer?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 12
Zamt Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2000,01:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since this is in the rants section, here's my rant on expectations for movies. Have you ever heard of a self-fulfilling prophesy? That is what happens to a lot of movies out there. Take the Phantom Menace. A lot of people thought that for some reason it was going to be Citizen Kane with cool special effects. You know, amazing plot and characters with light sabers. Guess what? It was a FUCKING STAR WARS MOVIE! So what happened? The people who went in thinking it would be the greatest movie ever were disapointed and the bitching commenced. I went in thinking it would be a Star Wars movie and thought it was great. If the mighty Star Wars:A New Hope had come out in 1999, it would have been canned. None of the movies have that great a plot or deep characters, but you know what? I love them. So, I can see Ozy doing the same thing to X-Men, in a different way. If you go into a film thinking it will suck ass, in all likelyhood it will. There are many things that are in the movie that are not like the comic. The costumes (thank god, they would have looked stupid), the characters (no team in the comic matches the team in the book), the fact that Mystique can actually live through a fight with Wolverine (although the movie Mystique is a hella better fighter than the comic one). There are other differences, but that is all really beside the point. Here's the deal. When I go to see the movie Sunday night, I will go into it with the idea that my man Bryan Singer (I loved the Usual Suspects) made a movie based on the X-men comic book. NOT that he took the X-men comic and coverted it to a movie. Big difference there. You can't turn a comic into a movie without either making it either prohibitively expensive (Waterworld would look like the Blair Witch Project considering how much special effects it would need) or animated. I'm sure that Bryan did as good a job as he could considering the constraints. I hope I like the movie, I'm pretty sure I will. Oh, and if you don't like what I have to say...too damn bad! You're wrong! Muahahahahaha

------------------
A day without sunshine, is like, you know, night.

Post Number: 13
Rol3x Search for posts by this member.
DetVet

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2000,03:08 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

you shut up now, Zamt
 Post Number: 14
Sithiee Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2000,03:14 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

first off, id like to say im back....second, i agree about the costumes. in the comics, you can control the pictures so well that wearing yellow spandex doesnt look too bad. but have you ever seen a guy wearing yellow spandex hopping around in a fight that didn look like a complete reject??? be realistic people. and umm....third?...there are going to be 2 sequels to the movie, in which basically the entire cast will appear in, the only two things i personally dislike are the lack of rogue's age, super strength, and flying....and the lack of morph...because we all know morph is the best.
 Post Number: 15
Firefox Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2000,04:47 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Zamt:
..Take the Phantom Menace. A lot of people thought that for some reason it was going to be Citizen Kane with cool special effects. You know, amazing plot and characters with light sabers. Guess what? It was a FUCKING STAR WARS MOVIE! So what happened? The people who went in thinking it would be the greatest movie ever were disapointed and the bitching commenced...

This reminds me of a rant I wrote over a year ago. You may be interested to read it:
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Cove/1890/comment.html

It's short, don't worry.

Also, I'd like to add that I agree with you that heading into a movie with high expectations is a terrible thing to do. I walk into every single movie with a blank mind and no expectations (well, ALMOST every movie), and I find that I enjoy most of which I watch to some degree. My friends love tying themselves in a knot with excitement whenever some new big splashy movie comes out, and because of this, they are almost ALWAYS disapointed. Dont'ja get it? If you go into movies expecting less, you will be pleased to get more.

Or something like that.

-FFox

[This message has been edited by Firefox (edited July 14, 2000).]

Post Number: 16
Cyrino Search for posts by this member.
Jedi Knight

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 15 2000,23:55 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, I did see the movie (first showing), and I thought it 0wned!! You can't go in expecting too much. Granted it is quite unlike the comics, but still a really kick ass movie.
Personally, I can't wait till Jubilee is introduced and we get some sentinals in on the action!!

------------------
They have cats in the future?

Post Number: 17
Chrissy Search for posts by this member.
LawGrrl

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2000,01:05 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I saw the movie today. I thought it was really good (even my mom liked it-scary) My only complaint was the the theater fucked it up. There was a power outage and we missed a scene or two. After they cleared that up the movie pretty much ruled. Im not an X-men comic book reader so I didnt go in with any expectation (just basic knowledge)and I thought it was really good. I guess if you know too much about a certain subject you are gonna go in expecting certain things. Im glad I had no idea about it.
=)

------------------
"The causes we know everything about depend on the causes we know nothing about, which depend on the causes we know absolutely nothing about."- Tom Stoppard

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 18
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2000,02:18 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well i just saw it, and i thought it ruled. there were a few things they did that got on my nerves, but i sort of lost track of it, cause it was that good. (phantom menace, the bad stuff stays in my mind) also, i have sad news for all of you expecting jubilee....she was in it. i saw her roll by in teh credits, and i thought back and couldnt figure out where. this means either they are completely ignoring her character, or well see more next time...i dunno...

anyway, my friends and i were talking over who would make good people for other characters...we all agreed that if they bulked up malcom mcdowell, he would make an excellent Cable...and kevin bacon with a scottish accent might make a good banshee.

lastly, id like to note, that technically throughout the entire movie, rebecca romeijn-stamos was entirely in the nude...if only there werent any scales.

Post Number: 19
The_Hiro Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2000,02:53 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jubilee was in there. She was in the classroom, wearing her usual yellow jacket and listening to a walkman (I think?). She wasn't doing anything special, and she had no dialogue.

I went into the movie, kinda expecting it to be dumb. It wasn't. I got the crappiest seats in the theatre (the ones at the very front that force you to crane your neck), yet I still enjoyed it. It wasn't a masterpiece, but I'd definitely say it was entertaining. I think they did a pretty good job of converting it from the comic book to the screen.

My only criticism: Magneto's lame-ass helmet. Looked pretty silly. Oh well.

Post Number: 20
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jul. 16 2000,10:58 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

hey i just thought of something, if they put jubilee in there with no dialogue, dyou spose the kid playing basketball was maybe sposed to be nightcrawler?...i dunno, ill check teh credits next time i watch.
44 replies since Jul. 12 2000,22:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 2 of 5<<12345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply X-MEN
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code