Search Members Help

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 612345>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: People that talk about things they don't know (computers)< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TonyDennis Search for posts by this member.
a mere observer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2000,04:31  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone else have this problem? I can't stand people that act like they know *anything* about computers, but really don't. They use computer terms incorrectly and act like they know what they're talking about. Sometimes it's funny because they usually talk to people who know less than themselves and the other person believes ever word, but when they try and talk to me... grrrr it just makes me want to scream "SHUT THE .... UP, lam0r!"

-Tony

------------------
w00t.

Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
Sithiee Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2000,06:19 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Theres this guy in my school, and hes exactly like what your describing, hes possibly one of the stupidest people ive ever met. The scary part is, he wants to be a brain surgeon (thats a whole nother rant in itself)...but hes always talking to me about computer science (hes in first year, i just aced AP) like he knows what hes talking about, and its really funny, because i basically run circles around him untill he says "oh...ok....i dont understand what the hell your talking about"...see some of my postings in the I Hate People thread...people are so fuckin stupid
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
incubus Search for posts by this member.
mack daddy

Group: Admins
PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 03 2000,08:07 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Grrrrrr, yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Like some people that try to impress others, just cos they use long words deliberately to confuse lay-people. I've lost out over jobs such as web design cos some other guy has ranted about "mastering advanced hypertext markup language generation packages" and baffled the client into thinking they're smart. In one such case someone I know did it, then came up to me and said "HTML, it's just like microsoft word isnt it? can you show me how to do it as im doing this guy's site now?" GRRRRRR

------------------
-- incubus
As I chase the leaves like the words I never find ...

Post Number: 4
Happyfish Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2000,07:11 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hehe...like this guy in my grade ten class..
He thought a 3.5 inch disk was a HARD disk..
(cause of the plastic case I suppose..)
 Post Number: 5
Sithiee Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2000,07:44 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

shut up, when i was little, before i got my computer, i didnt understand why the floppy disk wasnt a hard disk...i mean, it was hard...of course after seeing a real hard disk, it all made sense...
 Post Number: 6
Hellraiser Search for posts by this member.
PH34R M3

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2000,14:23 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have you ever seen any of the old style floppys, the 5 1/4 inch one? Those things actually were floppy, you could flex them quite a lot. And as far as I know the reason a harddisk is called a harddisk is because it is hardwired (not a good term I guess) into the system as opposed to a removable disk (if anyone knows better than that please inform me). But things like semantics relating to computers aren't a big deal. It's someone who uses technical terms for the sole purpose of trying to inflate their ego that gets on my nerves. I know I have done my share of misuse of technical terms, but I don't do it to make myself look cooler or more intelligent to others. And that's where the difference lies. I don't pretend to know everything about computers, I don't think anybody does. But I do know more than some people about how they work and how to use them properly, although I still have a lot to learn. It is this type of "I'm still learning new things" attitude when it comes to computers (And life in general) that makes all the difference in the world.

------------------
Just your generic meaningless signature. Mix with 2 quarts water and stir till evenly coated.

Post Number: 7
TonyDennis Search for posts by this member.
a mere observer

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2000,14:39 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

quote:
Originally posted by Hellraiser:
I don't pretend to know everything about computers, I don't think anybody does.

Those are the people I'm talking about! They're very annoying :)

-Tony

------------------
w00t.

Post Number: 8
Anztac Search for posts by this member.
Ronin

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2000,16:30 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hate these kind of people. I have to admit though I am one of these people every once and a while. I stop myself when I catch myself doing it. I really don't need the ego trip though. I get that whenever I do the most petty stuff. Like "WO HOO I SET UP A DNS SERVER" or "WO HO I KNOW HOW LAYERS AND JAVASCRIPT INTERACT" or ...well you get the idea. The cool thing is though when someone has the brains to admit that he doesn't know what I'm talking about and actually *ASK* for an explanation. I usually then explain as simply as I can. If they tell me they're interested I will help them, but no one ever asks. It really annoys me that people are so concided they won't ask for help

------------------
~Anztac - The guy who had the really long sig (formerly Kriegman)

"I am easily driven into a flying rage by blithering idiots"
-cr0bar [The god of this domain]

Post Number: 9
Nero Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2000,18:22 Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

anztac, i would say we but i mean me, don't like to look like a total jackass. if someone says something that i don't understand, i make a mental note and find out about it later. i know enough to not get into arguments or discussions that are outside my realm of knowledge (books, civ2, killing windows and (hopefully) fixing whatever i just broke.

then again, i'm just defending me, i deal so many stupid motherfuckers everyday at work that i'm seriously considering a city wide killing spree. i'll plead temporary insanity and ask for detnet members to be in my jury...

Post Number: 10
BM_Ray Search for posts by this member.
FNG

PostIcon Posted on: Jun. 04 2000,21:12 Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not 100\% sure, Hellraiser, but I think the reason a Hard disk is called a hard disk is because the disk itself (where the data is stored) is hard metal, and not floppy, like floppy disks.

And TonyDennis, Shut up before I download you a virus that me and my freind put on one of my hard disks! Fear me, because I am l33t because my monitor has a revolution of 768 x 1024! Ha!

56 replies since Jun. 03 2000,04:31 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 612345>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply People that talk about things they don't know (computers)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code